Alligator Mousse – feed your face! #1
Ok so confessions first; there aren’t any real alligators^ as a secret ingredient ready to snap off your fingers here (sorry to disappoint). The star of the show is in fact the alligator pear (Persea americana) or avocado to you and I.
This nutrient dense super star fruit is packed with vitamins, minerals, folate, dietary fibre and healthy monounsaturated fats (also known as oleic acid – omega 9) you can read more about its amazing health giving benefits here.
Feed your face; part 1.
- 1 ripe avocado (any variety – don’t just go for the mass cultivated Hass variety, diversify!)
- 2 tbsp coconut cream*
- 2-3 tbsp raw cacao powder (depends on taste)
- 2-3 tbsp honey / agave / date syrup
- raspberries or blackberries to serve
* if you use coconut oil you’ll probably only need 1 tbsp and will need to melt it in a heat proof bowl over a pan of steaming water before adding to the other ingredients (coconut oil is solid at room temperature).
- Pop everything into a blender and whizz until smooth or use a bowl and stick blender, adjusting the amount of cacao and honey/syrup as you go to your own taste. If you have an unripe avocado you won’t achieve the smooth glossy texture and will be picking bits out of your teeth (not that I’m talking from experience or anything…)
- Spoon the mousse into 2 serving glasses/bowls and pop into the fridge for about 2 hours to set; add your berries and dig in.
Feed your face; part 2.
♥ Yes, quite literally feed your face. Avocados contain oils and oleic acid which are readily absorbed by the skin and help to maintain moisture levels in the epidermal layer. Fat soluble vitamins A and E help maintain the integrity of the membrane that surround skin cells.
Nourishing cleansing mask;
- half-ripe avocado*
- 1 tsp fresh whipping cream**
- face cloth
- Blend together until really smooth and all the lumps have gone.
- Apply to a damp face using circular motions to help loosen dead skin cells.
- Leave for a few minutes before gently removing this nourishing cleanser from your face with lukewarm water and face cloth.
- Pat dry.
* Unused avocado oxidises and goes brown very quickly so take the remaining half avocado and repeat part 1 – or mash-up and spread on toast with a squeeze of lemon juice and sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper.
**Milk products are a good source of lactic acid which helps remove dead skin cells.
^ no alligators were harmed during the writing of this post.